Wednesday, February 12, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Ultravox - U-Vox

Ultravox - U-Vox



#430/2109
October 9 1986
Ultravox
U-Vox
Genre: Synthpop
4.25 out of 5

Highlights:
Same Old Story
Sweet Surrender 
The Prize
All in One Day


I first saw this flow chart in some magazine, might’ve been Trouser Press, and I never ever forgot it. I loved how it connected all the New Romantics (mostly I loved how incestuous everyone was. I don’t know if Pete Frame followed it up with the 80s versions of these bands but I include it here because, honestly, I’ve sort of run out ways to talk about Ultravox and how they sound like they are trying to recapture the flag from Simple Minds. This isn’t bad. It’s not transcendent. When it hits, it hits. (“The Prize) When it doesn’t…well, there are worse things you could listen to. It’s more muscular than other Ultravox records. In fact, it might rank among my favorite now. 




No comments: