Wednesday, February 12, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - News From Babel - Letters Home

News From Babel - Letters Home



#418/2097
1986 Housekeeping
News From Babel
Letters Home
Genre: Avant-Cabaret
2.25 out of 5


Highlights:
Banknote

I argued against the inclusion of this record but I lost the battle. Primarily, I think, because there’s just no really sense to be made about what does and doesn’t constitute “Rock” in the middle 80s. 
We’ve talked a lot about splintering in this era and I am absolutely sure we will cast off a lot of these tributaries as we move down the line, but I think it’s good, in retrospect, to examine these experimentations of the genre, if for nothing else, than just to figure out what the era was all about.
This feels like what would happen if Captain Beefheart was a neo-Austrian Kurt Weill inspired studio band. 
I want to hate it but I also can’t look away. 


No comments: