Tuesday, February 11, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - The Royal Family and the Poor - The Project - Phase 2 - We Love the Moon

The Royal Family and the Poor - The Project - Phase 2 - We Love the Moon



#364/2044
1986 Housekeeping
The Royal Family and the Poor
The Project - Phase 2 - We Love the Moon
Genre: Synthsperimental
3.5 out of 5




An oft told Listening Post tale:
In the early 2000s I came to believe that the ease of production via computers/garageband/pro tools, etc, was creating a glut of music that would be impossible for anyone to cut through. At least anyone of value. it was my belief that the internet had done away with gate keepers and since anyone could make a record there was an endless sea of new product. 
I was correct but I was also incorrect. 
As this project has shown, it wasn’t just endemic to the early 00s. There has always been a excess of material that has found it’s way into the musical stream. And, just like now, cutting through is nigh on impossible.
So, we come to The Royal Family and the Poor. 
A pair of projects (the first of which I missed) that remind me of other things we have listened to recently, like Thinking Plague, although sounding nothing like them. Stuff that is coming from the artists and made available for anyone who might get their ears on it and enjoy it. It’s not for everyone. But it’s also not a vanity play, entirely. 
I thought at first that this record was standard SynthPop but that’s it’s hook. It wants you to believe that so you will keep listening and then it gets deeper and deeper into it’s experimentation. It’s Radiohead, before Radiohead. While sounding nothing like them, nor being as good. 
It’s very existence makes me happy. But I don’t ever need to listen to it again. 


No comments: