Wednesday, February 12, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Liverpool



#441/2120
October 20 1986
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Liverpool
Genre: Dance Rock
4 out of 5


Highlights:
Warriors of the Wasteland
Rage Hard
Maximum Joy
Watching the Wildlife



That first one was so delicious. It’s one of those records that almost automatically demands backlash for the next one. And, yes, there’s a lot of familiar on this record but I had heard that it was so bad that I never sought it out. (To be fair, the likelihood of me actually buying this record, despite my love of the first one that was loaned to me on cassette was tiny, money being super scarce for a kid just starting out, y’know?)
But it’s not bad. On the contrary. It’s like Pleasuredome Part 2. Muscular and assertive. But when it’s not, it’s annoying and cloying. What a schizo record. No surprise it’s their last. 


No comments: