Tuesday, February 11, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Cyndi Lauper - True Colors

Cyndi Lauper - True Colors



#384/2064
September 15 1986
Cyndi Lauper
True Colors
Genre: Pop
2.5 out of 5

Requisite 80s coverS:
“What’s Going On”. There’s machine guns! Why are there machine guns!?!? This. Is. Bad. 
“Iko Iko”. Another unkillable song that makes me think…why didn’t B-52s cover this???

Highlights:
True Colors

You know what song I loved that is really cliche? “Time After Time”. That one gets me right in the feels. 
Why bring that up? Because I feel like the title track here is an attempt to recreate that. Still, it’s a Billy Steinberg joint and you know why it’s good. You can’t kill that track. And, you know what? I think that song works in every decade. But, mostly I think it’s very much what the sound of solo artists will be in the 90s. It’s a timeless ballad that is, weirdly, ahead of it’s time.



No comments: