Wednesday, February 12, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Spermbirds - Something to Prove

Spermbirds - Something to Prove



#416/2095 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
1986 Housekeeping
Spermbirds
Something to Prove
Genre: Punk
4.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Something to Prove
What a Bitch Is
Shit Job
Try Again




It’s weird to me that I, as an inveterate Cerebus fan, who has every issue including the hard to find first issue signed by Dave Sim as well as having letters printed in his comic and the book of letters he printed, would never seek out this record. Look at that cover! It’s Cerebus! I mean, if you were a fan of the aardvark you knew about this record. Sim wrote about it. The band never asked for permission but he didn’t have a problem with their use. 
For a German band they really come across as SoCal American Punk. In fact, they kind of remind me of an independent punk band that I reviewed in 95, Kiss the Clown. I’m sure there were tons of them but Spermbirds is one of the first that I recall really capturing this sound. Not the first, but definitely one of them.
I do wish I had heard this back in the day. This is melodic punk that would have gotten a bunch of play in the tape deck in my 1963 Chevy Bel Air. 


No comments: