Tuesday, February 11, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - This Mortal Coil - Filigree & Shadow

This Mortal Coil - Filigree & Shadow



#388/2067
September 20 1986
This Mortal Coil
Filigree & Shadow
Genre: The Soundtrack to Your Melancholy and Ultimate Demise from Wrist Slitting
2.5 out of 5



The follow up to This Mortal Coil is even darker than the previous. The “filigree” must pertain the plethora of covers interpreted by the group while the “shadow” is obviously the tenor of the entire record. 
I’m not belaboring this. I spent too much time with them. 
This album seems to exist so the people at 4AD could all be very happy and impressed with themselves. 
Side two is morose interpretations of folk songs by Judy Collins, Van Morrison, Gene Clark and Tim Buckley. If that interests you. It doesn’t me. I mean, I guess they are fine. But I’m not compelled to listen to any of them again.
I accidentally listened to “Strength of Strings” twice and didn’t notice. 





No comments: