Wednesday, February 12, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Talking Heads - True Stories





#429/2108
October 7 1986
Talking Heads
True Stories
Genre: A lot better than i’d heard it would be
4 out of 5


Highlights:
Love for Sale
Puzzlin’ Evidence
Wild Wild Life



I used to love Spy Magazine. I think I read every issue for about a year. One article I clearly recall (not the details of which, though) was a comparison between two Davids whose names were synonymous with violent homicide: Davids Lynch and Byrne. That cracked me up and I can’t think of either without bringing it to mind ever since. 

Byrne’s been in the spotlight lately, with a very funny turn on John Mulaney’s The Sack Lunch Bunch and an appearance on SNL. I guess he has something to promote. 
I absolutely adored the last few Heads offerings. We all know how great Stop Making Sense was. It made sense, to me at least, that Byrne would venture into other forms of media presentation at some point. But the thing is, he’s not really funny, nor does he engender any real human emotions or connection so the best he can hope to offer is some detached irony. Which is what I always got from this movie. A movie that I only saw pieces of because I couldn’t stick with it. I have no idea if there’s a plot or it’s just a series of videos or what. 
And this was the record, which, for better or worse, never presented as an actual Heads album but, to me, came across as a movie Soundtrack. And that’s why I stayed away. 
Much of this sounds like recent Talking Heads songs redux but, honestly, I prefer that to 90% of what I’ve been listening to lately. 
And Radiohead named themselves after a song on this thing. 
It’s a wild, wild life. 



No comments: