Wednesday, February 12, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - The Fall - Bend Sinister

The Fall - Bend Sinister



#393/2072
September 29 1986
The Fall
Bend Sinister
Genre: Post-Rock
3.75 out of 5

Highlights:
R.O.D.
Shoulder Pads 1#


Requisite 80s Cover:
“Mr. Pharmacist” by The Other Half, which was the first hit single for The Fall. It’s perfectly fine Psycho-Garage. 


Ahhhhh…not since Hex Enduction Hour….
The Fall is one of those musical projects that The Listening Post was designed for. Completely ignored by me at the time, I get to discover the highs and very low lows of Mark Smith’s singularly twisted musical filter. 
Once I started listening to Nick Cave (another gaping hole in my lexicon) I had a different appreciation for Smith inasmuch as I started listening to it as less a rock project and more a twisted off-off-Broadway musical and that makes it a lot easier for me to take. 
While not the best The Fall record, this is the record I feel like Lou Reed was supposed to make post-Velvets but he couldn’t. 



No comments: