Wednesday, February 12, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - The Outlaws - Soldiers of Fortune

The Outlaws - Soldiers of Fortune




#410/2089
September 1986
The Outlaws
Soldiers of Fortune
Genre: Is this .38 Special?
3.5 out of 5



Highlights:
Cold Harbor
Just the Way I Like It



Years ago I used to surf the blogs for new music. This was before it all consolidated into just Stereogum and Pitchfork and the like. There were tons of blogs talking about music and providing links and one app developer created an application called “Peel” that looked like iTunes and would crawl any blog whose url you would enter into the column on the left. 
Every day I would check that application and listen, ala iTunes, to some great new stuff. I credit Peel with helping me discover Jukebox the Ghost, a band that I have now seen in concert 5 times and written about for other publications. 
The biggest downside to Peel was that it stripped from me the need to actually go TO the blog and read about the band and the album and that, I fear, was the writing on the wall for blogs. That and Facebook. 
But it was one of those blogs, Robots for Ronnie, that brought me to a band called Bandit and their terrible Wannabe Country Rock album, Partners in Crime. 
Truth is, I barely remember that record. It’s not good, that I recall. 
I’m reminded of Bandit while listening to this album because I just can’t bring myself to write about .38 Special anymore.

Oh. This is better than Bandit. For sure. It actually gets better the deeper in you get. It’s front loaded with pap.


No comments: