Tuesday, February 11, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?

Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?



#386/2065
September 19 1986
Megadeth
Peace Sells…But Who’s Buying?
Genre: Thrash classic
4.75 out of 5

Highlights:
Wake Up Dead
Peace Sells
I Ain’t Superstitious
My Last Words

Requisite 80s cover:
“I Ain’t Superstitious” which is gloriously Metal and pays perfect homage to the original. 

There are a lot of discoveries for me on this journey. Some of them are obscure unknown entities like The Cleaners from Venus or Green. Others are genre classics that were not part of my lexicon back when they were released and were subsequently eschewed for a variety of reasons. 
This is one of those. 

How best to describe this album? It’s the sound of your life ending. How’s that? Decades of experience coalescing into a maelstrom of controlled chaos that holds you in its grasp, experienced by others but truly felt in your core. 

I’m not keyed in to the modern underground guitar band tropes of today. Are they as politically angry and aware as Mustaine (and Biafra and others) were in 86? 

This must be considered one of the holy Thrash Metal record, yes? 
It’s relentless. Culminating with the climatically explosive “My Last Words”, which is... superb. 


No comments: