Tuesday, February 11, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Tonio K. - Romeo Unchained

Tonio K. - Romeo Unchained



#367/2047
1986 Housekeeping
Tonio K. 
Romeo Unchained
Genre: Rock…?
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
I Handle Snakes
You Will Go Free

I missed all the previous Tonio K records. So, I don’t know him but, listening to this…am I wrong? Does he sound like what you get when you take Bryan Adams writing style and layer it with a ton of keyboards and synths and electric drums?
That’s what I am hearing. 
And it’s a shame because the production…that so damned 80s production, really brings this down. Songs like “You Belong With Me” or “Impressed” could have been so nice without it, “Living Doll” might’ve been a spectacular little Power Pop gem were it not for the 80s production. 
The whole thing is redeemed at the end with the lovely “You Will Go Free” which makes me wonder…why couldn’t it all have sounded like this????

Oh, well. Nice to meet ya, Tonio. I’ll forget who you were in a few…oh…who? 



No comments: