Tuesday, February 11, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Triumph - The Sport of Kings

Triumph - The Sport of Kings



#378/2058
September 11 1986
Triumph
The Sport of Kings
Genre: Hard Rock
3.25 out of 5


Highlights:
Hooked On It
Take a Stand
Play with the Fire



So, this is a big test. 
Over the course of this project, which goes back to 1978, I have been consistently surprised by Triumph. Every album has received high marks, over 4. And that was a shocker to me. Yeah, I even liked Thunder Seven. Sue me. 
I sooooo wanted them to make this the exception that proves the rule of diminishing returns. But, I fear that, five quality records in a row is about all they can muster. That sixth one…just ran out of steam. 
For the genre, tracks like “Somebody’s Out There” is game but, honestly, it’s kind of garbage. But in a Journey sort of garbage-y way.
I’m forgiving of Triumph. They are my Guilty Power Rock Pleasure of the Listening Post experience. 
Yet, even with those highlights, this record is still just a 3.25. Go figure.


No comments: