Tuesday, February 11, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Billy Bragg - Talking with the Taxman About Poetry

Billy Bragg - Talking with the Taxman About Poetry



#373/2053
September 1 1986
Billy Bragg
Talking with the Taxman About Poetry
Genre: Busker Genius
4.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Greetings to the New Brunette
Train Train
There is Power in a Union



Spy was such a little miracle of a discovery for me and Brewing was kind of a let down. 
As much as I longed for a backing band the last time this one is sparse, for the most part. “Ideology” SOUNDS like it was (really well) recorded in the Underground with just Billy, his guitar, an amp and a mic. It’s exactly how I want my Billy Bragg to sound. Most of the record sounds this way and what it succeeds in doing is make me want to buy a ticket to see a Billy Bragg show. The record is the perfect advertisement for the Billy Bragg show. I wanna go. 


No comments: