Wednesday, March 11, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Soul Asylum - While You Were Out

Soul Asylum - While You Were Out


#510 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
November 25 1986
Soul Asylum
While You Were Out
Genre: I swear I thought this was a 90s band….
4.5 out of 5



Highlights:
Freaks
Carry On
No Man’s Land
Never Too Soon




The sounds of a band barely holding it together yet making amazingly shambolic music is something I thought Pavement cornered the market on. 
I was wrong. 
In less than 1 year Pirner and the gang have put together another set of songs that belong to the future not the mid 80s. 
They still sound like the children of Du but have different producers now and the sound is cleaner and more accessible. 
The energy here is palpable. I almost forgot what it the defiance of youth screaming into a thrashing void could sound like. 
I never knew I was a Soul Asylum fan. 


No comments: