Wednesday, March 11, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Dead Kennedys - Bedtime for Democracy

Dead Kennedys - Bedtime for Democracy


#515
November 1986
Dead Kennedys
Bedtime for Democracy
Genre: Hardcore
3.25 out of 5


Highlights:
Dear Abby
I Spy

Requisite 80s cover: “Take This Job and Shove It”. Opening with this, instead of ending it the way they did with “Viva Las Vegas” just a few years before, suggests they don’t have a lot of faith in this thing. 


I was never really into “punk” but I adored Dead Kennedys. In God We Trust, Inc. Plastic Surgery Disasters. Even Frankenchrist. For some reason it took me over 2 decades to get to Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables.  I think it’s the combination surf punk mania and sardonic wit + Jello’s delivery…it all works for me.
Bedtime didn’t the first time around. I don’t know what I was expecting. 
When I lived in the valley, around 1992, my wife and I were clearing out our rental as we bought a ranch in Lancaster and, on the last days there my neighbor in the back came in to have a beer and hang out. he was with his pals. They drank, we talked. I didn’t have a lot of time. I don’t know who the neighbor was. I mean, I can’t recall his name. He was a musician and he might have turned out to be someone of renown but I have no idea. For all I know it was Art Alexakis. It looked like him, in retrospect. 
I was sitting on the empty floor where our pot bellied pigs used to roam (I had a pig selling business for a few years. More stuff to know about Allen!) talking with a guy named Darren. We shared some stuff about music that we liked. Toward the end he mentioned that he played with Red Hot Chili Peppers for a spell but I wasn’t an RHCP fan. 
That was DH Peligro. 
We didn’t talk about DKs. I wish I did. 
This record is fine. But, it’s one record too much. The bloom is off these guys and its time for us all to grow up. 

No comments: