Wednesday, March 11, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - John Lennon - Menlove Ave.

John Lennon - Menlove Ave.



#518
November 3 1986
John Lennon
Menlove Ave
Genre: Rock
2.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Steel and Glass


Requisite 80s Cover: “To Know Hier is to Love Her”. There are other covers here but this time Lennon is covering a Beatles version of a Spector track and he seems to be trying to should like David Bowie circa 1974 and it falls really flat. 

I am the wrong guy to assess this, I fear. I have never been a Beatles lover. I don’t care for the solo works of the 70s, for the most part, while I liked Double Fantasy enough, I bet it would have scored higher had it not been for Yoko. But, then again, if it was just John it might have included stuff from Milk and Honey and it would have scored…about the same.
This is a lot of leftovers, yes?
It feels half baked to me. 
Is this it? Is there a sea of posthumous Lennon releases on their way, ala Tupac? Cuz…ugh. 

No comments: