Wednesday, March 11, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - No Trend - Tritonian Nash-Vegas Polyester Complex

No Trend - Tritonian Nash-Vegas Polyester Complex


#531 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
1986 Housekeeping
No Trend
Tritonian Nash-Vegas Polyester Complex
Genre: Post-Rock/Post-Rock/Jazz-Punk
4.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Without Me
Fred Reality
Space Disco
Angel Angel Down We Go


Okay, I know I do this a lot but, this sounds more like the 90s movement ala King Missile and Primus and Camper Van and Butthole Surfers and others than it does ANYthing “80s” as we think of it. 
It’s completely it’s own thing that touches on punk and jazz and, honestly, if this is where Black Flag had headed I would have liked them a lot more. But, don’t get me wrong, No Trend doesn’t sound like Greg Ginn, except that I would absolutely put it on a playlist with anything Ginn did with Gone to this point. 
Have I intrigued you or turned you off? 
I wish I knew about this record back then. No Trend is actually defying all trends and setting their own. 
The next record by No Trend would be recorded in 87 but the label, Touch and Go, thought it too weird and refused to release it. The band broke up. It was finally released in 2001. Guess we have to get 14 more years worth of music to hear just why it was soooooo weird. 

No comments: