Friday, March 6, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - NoMeansNo - Sex Mad

NoMeansNo - Sex Mad



#481/2131 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
1986 Housekeeping
NoMeansNo
Sex Mad
Genre: ProgPunk
4.75 out of 5



Highlights:
Sex Mad
Dad
Obsessed
Self Pity
Long Days



One of the most beautiful spots in North America is about 90 minutes by ferry from Vancouver. It’s called Victoria and I was just there, filming a television commercial. It’s like a harbor town that jettisoned into the modern era where people are accepted for who they are and everyone is happy and the coffee and ice cream is spectacular. 
That this band came out of there is sort of unexpected and stunning. 
This sounds nothing like the punk I grew up with. It’s smarter and yet just as angry. It’s progressive in ways that I expect from, say, Primus and The Residents. But it’s also as dangerously straightforward as Dead Kennedys or Suicidal Tendencies. And as jazzy as Gone. 
I love this album. I don’t know if I would have in 1986 but I really do now.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9GNkn-6ZE






No comments: