Friday, March 6, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Angst - Mending Wall

Angst - Mending Wall


#482/2132 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
1986 Housekeeping
Angst
Mending Wall
Genre: Husker Punk
4.25 out of 5

Highlights:
Standing Here All Alone
All of a Sudden

Requisite 80s cover: Paul Simon’s “Richard Cory”.  Unnecessary. Punky. 


I don’t know why I eschewed the SST bands of the 80s. I think it’s probably cuz I had a deep aversion to Black Flag, save that one song, but boy did I miss out on some great shit. Like, they were Sub Pop before Sub Pop.
Reading up on Angst I see that Frank Black credits them with informing much of what he did with Pixies and I can hear that in here. 
Take Saccharine Trust and Husker Du and add some psychedelia to it and that’s these guys. It runs a bit out of steam but it’s still pretty damned excellent.


YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMWtVulaUD8

No comments: