Saturday, March 21, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - Good Music

Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - Good Music


#551
December 9 1986
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Good Music
Genre: Rock
2.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Good Music


Requisite Joan Covers:
“Roadrunner” by Jonathan Richman. Not as good as the original but more muscular and that song has the spine to handle it. 
“Fun, Fun, Fun”. Joan’s version is exactly how it would sound by a beer fest afternoon band. 
Hendrix’s “You Got Me Floatin’”. Yawn. 



Lowlights:
“Black Leather”. Another rocker jumping in to garbage hip hop. Don’t rap, Joan. Ugh. 


I love Joan. Even when I don’t love Joan. I love how she influenced bands like The Donnas. I love how she produced the fucking Germs album and yet she’s really a power popper at heart. I love how she opens this record with the lyric, “We need to hear Good Music!” without a hint of irony but an obvious understanding and affection for The Beach Boys (featuring Mike Love, Carl Wilson, Al Jardine & Bruce Johnston on backing vocals!). I love how she made/makes her bones on fantastic covers but her most lasting contribution to the pantheon of “Rawk” is “Bad Reputation”. 
I love Joan. 
I don’t love this. It’s just not a lot of fun. It’s one mediocre Jett track after another. 

No comments: