Friday, March 6, 2020

The 1986 Listening Post - The Band of Blacky Ranchette - Heartland

The Band of Blacky Ranchette - Heartland


#475/2125
1986 Housekeeping
The Band of Blacky Rachette
Heartland
Genre: Country Rock
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Code of the Road
One More Should Do It

Howie Gelb is another Listening Post discovery for me. I can recall the joy and calm I felt as the Saskatchewan plains stretched out before while listening to Giant Sand for the first time. Now I learn that he is veritable music machine that completely escaped my notice. 
He’s back here with a new band, a new moniker, and yes, it’s country but it’s also roots rock and roll in it’s most delectably songwriter form. 
In a more stringent year I might excise this from the list but it’s way too enjoyable for me to deny. 
Everything The Knitters wanted to be, and came close to on “The Call of the Wrecking Ball” is right up front here. 
After that, its a pretty mixed bag of Country Rock. 


YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6tNi-ngP9k&list=PLBJ7ztNazTVBDHxk0p3Y61TNbY-GGnEw4

No comments: