Monday, August 5, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Dexys Midnight Runners- Don't Stand Me Down

Dexys Midnight Runners - Don't Stand Me Down

#340/976
September 15 1985
Dexys Midnight Runners
Don’t Stand Me Down
Genre: Rock
1.5 out of 5


This starts off sounding less like songs than improvised session work. What’s with the spoken word ramblings? 
If you were a fan of “Come on Eileen” and decided to buy the next DMR album you would want your money back and all of the good will built up by Rowland over the past 2 records would be exhausted. I know it is for me. 
And its not because this album is challenging. It’s cuz it’s dull and formless. Which is not what you expect from them. Quite the opposite, really. “One of Those Things” is where I almost broke with my rules. It’s a 6 minute jam session that bites way too hard on “Werewolves of London” and I almost clicked “next” to move on. I’ve never done that on any record during the LPs and the fact that I almost did with this one strips this album of a full point. 


No comments: