Thursday, August 15, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Olivia Newton John - Soul Kiss

Olivia Newton John - Soul Kiss



#387/1023
October 8 1985
Olivia Newton John
Soul Kiss
Genre: Pop
2.5 out of 5


Confession. 
I was given Have You Never Been Mellow when I was ten. 
I don’t know who gave it to me and I’m not sure what their intent was but I used to stare at Olivia’s gauzy vasolined image on that cover while listening to her wistfully ask if I had “never been mellow” and I was entranced. 
I didn’t really know why. I didn’t understand it. But I was in her grasp.

And then I forgot about her, as young boys will and I moved on to the likes of Farrah and other long trellised blondes of the era. Oh, sure, she fell back into my life a couple years later in Grease but, let’s be honest…what was she doing in that movie. (And by then I had moved on to Dinah Manoff (who I would meet about 10 years later and…well…that’s a story that has no place here. No. Nothing that you’re thinking…) Occasionally ONJ would come back on my radar…like when I finally saw Xanadu. But that was a rarity and my relationship with her was over. 

Not even her spandex exercising of Physical was enough to bring me back. 

And even though I kind of enjoyed “Queen of the Publication”, this is   MOR pop that deserves no more of our attention. 
But “you were great, how was I?” Is such an egregious bite on “hopelessly devoted to you” that it makes me mad. 

It took me four days to get through this record. I just never ever wanted to return to it. 



No comments: