Friday, August 30, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Helloween - Walls of Jericho

Helloween - Walls of Jericho



#422/1057
October 1985
Helloween
Walls of Jericho
Genre: Metal
4.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Guardians
Phantoms of Death
Metal Invaders
Heavy Metal (Is the Law)


Is the bass player the main guy? He’s up pretty high in the mix and I don’t mind cuz he’s noodling around with some very interesting and fun bass riffs. 
Is this as good as Iron Maiden, which it is so obviously influenced by? No. But it’s a great place holder while we wait for the next offering from the Eddie crew. 
Until this project I had no idea how much I fucking love this kind of stooopid metal when it’s done well, with an eye of how absurd it really is but also just how much fun. I have had the same reaction to post-punk/post-rock. Interesting.
This is all the right chords for me. 



Side note: One day, when I was filming a commercial in Canada I met a Canadian wrestler named Chris. In retrospect I believe that was Chris Jericho. Looks just like him, as I recall. The name is super familiar. He was on set, hanging around that day. Not sure why, cuz I don’t remember him being IN the commercial. 
Turns out Chris Jericho took his wrestling name from this band as well as his signature move. Had I only been doing this project lo those many years ago I’d have had more to talk to him about.
(I also once sat next to Steve Austin on a plane and we traded tips. I gave him acting notes and he gave me nutrition tips. I’m not entirely sure either of us were of benefit to the other.)


No comments: