Saturday, August 10, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Mike + the Mechanics - Mike + the Mechanics

Mike + the Mechanics - Mike + the Mechanics


#383/1019
October 5 1985
Mike + the Mechanics
Mike + the Mechanics
Genre: Prog Rock
3.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Silent Running
All I Need is a Miracle
Take the Reins



Of all the post/side Genesis projects this is the one that, to me, sounds the most like Genesis. Well, latter day Genesis. 
It’s really hard to argue with the comfortable familiarity of the hits from this thing. They were ubiquitous. They show up on every classic rock/80s/AOR radio station/playlist ever. They are evergreen hits of the era. And I can’t really argue with that. They are confection. When you have the Pauls (Carrack & Young) as your lead vox, their smooth anonymity can carry just about any Genesisian tune. 
Beyond those hits, though, it’s a pretty pedestrian offering. The songs are bouncy enough, sure. And they could be plugged into any radio station playlist. And that’s the best thing I can say here.
I know you’re looking up and saying “Take the Reins? Really?” What can I say, it made me happy. 



No comments: