Saturday, August 10, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Jane Wiedlin - Jane Wiedlin

Jane Wiedlin - Jane Wiedlin

#381/1017
October 2 1985
Jane Wiedlin
Jane Wiedlin
Genre: Pop Rock
2.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Where Can We Go



Every review I read about this album hails it as a pop masterpiece. My take isn’t different. It’s boring. The songs are trite and uninteresting. 
Wiedlin co-wrote the entire first side of the debut and 2 more on side two of that masterwork.
She co-wrote two of the best on Talk Show. Yet, here…it all sounds like the opposite of “catchy”. It’s all so 80s synthpoppy but if you take out the Cyndi Lauper She’s So Unusual production style, you’re left with mediocrity up the ass. 
Sad, since Jane is my favorite Go-Go. I was hoping for better. “East Meets West” doesn’t sound like the person who wrote “Our Lips Are Sealed”. It sounds like a mid-era Adam Ant fan who got a recording deal. 
Kevin Hunter of Wire Train contributes a good song here “I Will Wait for You” and co-writes the only song I highlighted. 




No comments: