Monday, August 5, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Silos - About Her Steps

The Silos - About Her Steps


#362/998
September 1985
The Silos
About Her Steps
Genre: Indie/Lo-Fi
3.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Susan

I know I categorized this as Indie but…is it really alt-country? It sounds like it was recorded on a shoestring.
I know I’ve brought this up before but it seems apropos: When I was a kid I wandered into some knick knack store. I think it was a clothing place in Manhattan. My parents had stuff to do and I was left to wander, as is my wont. 
On that day I bought a pair of records from this place that was absolutely not a record store: An album by Doug and the Slugs (I loved the name) and Red Snerts, the sound of Gulcher Records. This particular record has become a bit of a semi-known quantity in the 80s independent label category. And that’s what The Silos sound like. Just about everything on that record. 
I know that means nothing to most people but it’s a welcome sound for me. 
This whole thing sounds like a rehearsal for something greater. I’ve never heard of The Silos but they’ve recorded like 10 albums with the last coming out in 2011 so they must be doing something right.
I can’t wait to hear what comes next. 



No comments: