Thursday, August 15, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Rush - Power Windows

Rush - Power Windows


#392/1028
October 14 1985
Rush
Power Windows
Genre: Rock
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Marathon

Rush ended for me with the Moving Pictures concert. It wasn’t bad. I remember we had nosebleed seats at Madison Square Garden. There was a cool video for “Red Barchetta” and everything. The band sounded great. We were kids. 16. Taking a train together too and from NYC. My parents were cool with it. All of ours trusted us back then. It was good times.
And I loved Moving Pictures. 
I bought Permanent Waves and started trying to write lyrics like Peart. I didn’t know, at the time, that his writings, pedantic and obnoxiously overarching, were steeped in Ayn Randian Objectivism.
But, after Moving Pictures, I dropped out. They weren’t on my radar anymore. 
With this project I got back to the boys and, with each subsequent record I felt the same: Excellent playing. Brilliant musicianship. Interesting song construction. But…where are the songs?
“The Big Money” is the closest to something I could hear on the radio and I liked it. In fact, there’s nothing I *don’t* like. 

It’s like an old friend. You may not have anything in common with them anymore but it’s nice to see them after 30 years. 
And then, after they’ve gone and you get back to your routine and your life, it’s better to have seen them again than to actually see them again.


No comments: