Monday, August 5, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Gary Moore - Run for Cover

Gary Moore - Run for Cover

#365/1001
September 1985
Gary Moore
Run for Cover
Genre: Rock
4 out of 5

Highlights:
Run for Cover
Once in a Lifetime


For the first time in a long time Gary doesn’t suck. 
When I was 17 I bought my cousin’s grandfather’s 1962 Chevy Bel Air. It cost me $75. Hey, I had a car. Sure it stalled out at every red light unless you kept the engine running. Did I mention that it cost $75? 
I had a boom box at the time. I would put that thing on the floor of the car and blast mix tapes. They were filled with radio rock hits of the day, stuff I recorded off WDHA and WFMU. If I had heard of this, I guarantee some of it would have ended up on one of those tapes. 
“Reach for the Sky” sounds like if The Tubes did metal. “Nothing to Lose” is a Kiss track, no? Sure sounds like it. But the guitar is even bigger and shreddier than Ace’s or Tommy’s. And “Once in a Lifetime” is a virtual interpolation of “Hold On Loosely”, but I kind of love it. 



No comments: