Monday, August 19, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Residents - The Big Bubble

The Residents - The Big Bubble


#400/1036
October 24 1985
The Residents
The Big Bubble
Genre: Post-everything
1.75 out of 5


I’ve told this before but one of my favorite gags is anytime something is the “fourth in a trilogy”. 
Hitchhikers guide introduced that joke to me and I was admonished by my editor at a New York University film paper for reviewing Rocky IV as “the fourth part of the Rocky trilogy.”
Her cut it out cuz…well…whatever, Marcus Raboy. 

This is the 4th part of The Mole Trilogy. To be honest, I really don’t know what’s happening in that saga. All I do know is that the first two parts were quite something, sonically. Not as great as Eskimo but pretty damned good. The 3rd part never materialized and this is supposed to be a rock band made up of Zenkenites who are hybrids of Moles and Chubs…and…I don’t know. 
The closest they get to either of those previous records is the closer “Kula Bocca Says So”. 

This is one of those times that the band just loses me. And this is it for a few years for them. They’ll release some live stuff but, the previous tours had knocked them around and this was a pretty bad album. We’ll catch up with them again in 1988.


No comments: