Friday, August 30, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Gary Myrick - Stand for Love

Gary Myrick - Stand for Love


#434/1069
1985 Housekeeping
Gary Myrick
Stand For Love
Genre: Rock
4 out of 5 (Don’t @ me)

Highlights:
Don’t Let the Good Die Young
She Talks in Stereo
When Angels Kiss


Who bought Gary Myrick records? I wanna meet those fans. 
Every track on this thing starts off with promise and then Myrick’s lyrics and, well, just he himself, show up and mediocre it all up. A good example of this is “Don’t Let the Good Die Young”, a song whose arrangements and production I like a lot more than the sum of the parts. But, heck, it’s worth a spin. Same for his hit single, “She Talks in Stereo”, what a better song this would have been for, say, Pat Benatar, who would’ve killed it. 
Also, “When Angels Kiss”, which is the 80s all summarized in 4 minutes. 
I wanted to hate this record. I came in to it all sullen and angry and resentful that I had to listen to yet aNOTHER 80s guitar rock soloist and I walked away kind of…not loving it…liking the shit out of it. 



No comments: