Monday, August 19, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Thin White Rope - Exploring the Axis

Thin White Rope - Exploring the Axis


#415/1050    LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
October 1985
Thin White Rope
Exploring the Axis
Genre: Alternative…?
4.75 out of 5 (I soooo wanted to go to 5)




Highlights:
Down in the Desert
Disney Girl
Dead Grammas on a Train
The Three Song
Eleven
Exploring the Axis



This is a really odd duck, this record. It’s unlike anything I’ve heard recently. They are listed as “Paisley Underground” but they really aren’t. In fact, (this might sound weird) I think they have more in common with Butthole Surfers or Ween or, even, Wall of Voodoo. They have their own approach and sound. I know they aren’t like Meat Puppets but I bet they would’ve sounded great on a tour with them. 

If you knew of this band, why didn’t you tell me about them? If you heard this record, why the hell didn’t you tell me about it?????
Everything I wanted Tim by The Replacements to be but wasn’t is evidenced here on “Dead Grammas on a Train”.
“The Three Song” could be Jon-Rae and the River and “Eleven” could be a desert stoner band’s interpretation of The Vapors. And they are both stellar. 



No comments: