Monday, August 5, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Waterboys - This is the Sea

The Waterboys - This is the Sea

#341/977
September 16 1985
The Waterboys
This is the Sea
Genre: Alternative
4.5 out of 5

Highlights:
Don’t Bang the Drum
The Whole of the Moon
The Pan Within
Medicine Bow
Be My Enemy

So, The Waterboys get…better and more obscure with each release? Is that how it works? Why was I so anti-Mike Scott? Who gave me the impression that I should avoid them? Was it the press? Friends? Like I’ve said before I have a vague recollection of Mike Scott having contempt for U2 but I wasn’t really much of a U2 fan to begin with so that wouldn’t have set me off. 
Sigh…
The track “Whole of the Moon” could be released in 2010 and bloggers would have eaten it up.  It’s the sound if I’m From Barcelona and a dozen other indie bands who had big ideas and no real venues to let them shine. And is Mike Scott the true heir to Dylan? He sure sounds like it on “Be My Enemy”.
I’m all in on The Waterboys at this point. 


No comments: