Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love


#339/975
September 16 1985
Kate Bush
Hounds of Love
Genre: Rock
5 out of 5


Highlights:
Running Up That Hill
Hounds of Love
The Big Sky
And Dream of Sheep
Under Ice
Jig of Life


Full confession: I’ve never heard this album. I am intimidated by Kate. I thought The Kick Inside was meh. But the follow up, Never For Ever was actually quite good. And then, The Kick Inside, which just knocked me out. I have been looking forward to this one but, even though I really liked those other two, I decided to wait until I reached Hounds of Love in this project to dive in. 
Maybe this is an insult but…is this a Kate Bush version of a Peter Gabriel record sounds like?
I really don’t mean it as an insult. It’s fantastic. 
It challenges but it also invites. 
The true hero here is “Jig of Life”, a hypnotic meditation set against an irish jig that I was going to listen to again but before I had the chance to we had already moved on to “Hello Earth” and I became transfixed on its warped spaciness.
Kate knows more than I do about the nature of life and I am humbled by her.


No comments: