Friday, July 12, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Kick Axe - Welcome to the Club

Kick Axe - Welcome to the Club


#301/936
August 22 1985
Kick Axe
Welcome to the Club
Genre: Glam Metal
3.7 5 out of 5


Highlights:
Comin’ After You
Make Your Move

It’s all about “Make Your Move”. That’s the track for me that makes me wonder why not Kick Axe? Why Motley Crue? Because that song IS a Motley Crue song, through and through and, actually, it’s better than most of what they come up with. Maybe it’s because it’s not as faux-dangerous. I mean, it’s pretty bubble gum glam. Give Bay City Rollers some steroids and a lot more time in the studio and that’s what they might come up with.
This follow up to that surprise debut album isn’t as surprising or cutting. I don’t know the story behind it but I can see loving the first one, being first in line for this one and then experiencing gross disappointment. 
As soon as I would have heard the Side One closer ballad “Never Let Go”, I might’ve just flipped the damned thing over and never come back to it. It’s no “Home Sweet Home”. They find the old Kick Axe energy & sound on “Too Loud…Too Old” and a bit on “Feel the Power” but there’s no need for their epic Band Aid sounding stadium version of “With a Little Help From My Friends”. It’s bombastic in a way that I’ve not come to expect from Canadians. 



No comments: