Friday, July 12, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Kid Creole & the Coconuts - In Praise of Older Women...and Other Crimes

Kid Creole & the Coconuts - In Praise of Older Women...and Other Crimes


#302/937
August 25 1985
Kid Creole & the Coconuts
In Praise of Older Women…and Other Crimes
Genre: Dance Rock/New Wave
4 out of 5


Highlights:
Endicott
Particul’y Int’rested
(Darlin’ You Can) Take Me

My exposure to Kid Creole was when Jean Doumanian took over Saturday Night Live after Lorne Michaels left and she programmed interesting musical guests. Actors? Nope (looking at you, Denny Dillon and Charles Rocket). Writers? Hells no. “I’m in the Army and I’m gay, but that don’t mean I swish and sway!” from an actual sketch when the show returned. 
At the time I was an SNL apologist. My friend Jeff and I were tasked with reviewing it for the High School newspaper. We praised it. We should have been removed from the newspaper upon handing that review in. 
But, because I was said apologist, anything they did was ok by me at the time. When Kid Creole was a musical guest I figured he must be excellent and cool.
Maybe he was. I didn’t really follow up on him. 
Until this project. 
And this might sound really stupid but…is he like a more accessible R&B Frank Zappa? I mean, he’s got obvious chops, so much so that he probably could perform or write in any style and not break a sweat. It’s almost like he knows he’s better than the style, cuz he’s better than any style, really. 
I liked this a bit better than I have some of their stuff in the past. (Yes, even “Animal Cop”)


No comments: