Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Spear of Destiny - World Service

Spear of Destiny - World Service


#317/952
August 1985
Spear of Destiny
World Service
Genre: Alternative
4 out of 5


Highlights:
Up All Night


This time around Spear of Destiny sounds like…PiL? I can’t really describe this record. I mean, I love it with all it’s percussive pounding nonsense and vocal self importance. Like the last SoD record, I am surprised that I never heard of them before AND, guess what gang? Seems like they are still recording.
Who knew?
I have no doubt that, for some people out there, Spear of Destiny is everything. They SOUND like they would be that for people. The sound of catharsis on record. 
It doesn’t always succeed (“Mickey”) but, even when it misses, it misses with aplomb and panache and bombast. 
I would have never heard Spear of Destiny were it not for this project. Or if I did it would have no context and I would not key in to what I was hearing. They are unique and special. 

 https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBJ7ztNazTVDXRdu8payyrdF0VSC7gipN

No comments: