Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Todd Rundgren - A Capella

Todd Rundgren - A Capella


#335/970     LISTENING POST ADMIN RECOMMENDS
August 9 1985
Todd Rundgren
A Capella
Genre: Rock
5 out of 5

Highlights:
John Jingo
Pretending to Care
Hodja
Something to Fall Back On
Lockjaw
Honest Work

I had a manager at the video store uptown, Rich. He was an interesting cat. Screenwriter, who would go on to have a modicum of success in LA. Had an apartment where he would show the strangest movies. I saw “Skidoo” there. 
I only saw him a couple times after, although I know he still hosts a movie night for his actual friends in LA. 
On occasion he and I would talk about movies or television or music. He was, like me, someone who fancied himself a gatekeeper. A tastemaker, I think. 
He loved Todd Rundgren. 
He gave me a tape of A Capella. It ruined Todd for me. It was so much fun and wackadoo (Like Rich) and full of zest and life and moments of real pathos that I could never stand his other treacly stuff. Or his rock stuff. Except for one album by Utopia and that was because they were aping the Beatles. 
When he apes others, I seem to like him (The New Cars, anyone?)
But here, he soars. 
All the voices and instrumentation are Todd. He might have been the first of his peers to do this. He wouldn’t be the last. 



No comments: