Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Starship - We Built this City

Starship - We Built this City


#335/971
September 10 1985
Starship
We Built This City
Genre: Rock
3.25 out of 5


Highlights:
We Built This City
Love Rusts


Look, I don’t care how many people complain that the title track is shit. It’s catchy as hell and it sounds like a television commercial for a fast food joint. To this day I do not know how it wasn’t one.

“We built this burger.
We built this burger at Bur-ger King!
We ate this burger.
We are this burger at Bur-Ger King!”


Right?!? I mean…come ON!

The rest?
Starship lost the path long before they dropped the Jefferson. Or the Airplane. 
“Sara” has a catchy chorus but the rest of it? An excuse to get to said chorus.
Here’s the thing. I don’t hate this the way I would hate previous Starship albums. It’s not good. Heavens no. But they’re trying. I mean, they are really trying out there. 

And you know what? I like the title. Knee Deep in the Hoopla. What’s “Hoopla”? A loud din about something that usually ends up being nothing. 

Yep. That’s this. 



No comments: