Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Men They Couldn't Hang - Night of a Thousand Candles

The Men They Couldn't Hang - Night of a Thousand Candles



#324/959               LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
1985Housekeeping
The Men They Couldn’t Hang
Night of a Thousand Candles
Genre: Folk Punk
5 out of 5


Highlights:
The Day After
A Night to Remember
Johnny Come Home
The Green Fields of France
Ironmasters
Kingdom Come


It’s 11PM. 
I’m drinking Orange SodaStream & Gin.
My daughter just gave me the last hug of the day. The wife’s asleep. I need this drink. After a long day of Zack telling me that I should die, that he will poison me, that I should stop telling jokes (he doesn’t mean any of it, he thinks he’s being funny) he ended the night with the biggest hit and told me he loved me and that “I’m a bad boy. I didn’t mean any of that. I love you so much.”
So, I need that drink.
And I should probably drown my emotions in something more drink-y like The Pogues but this band’s number came up.
I’m happier now. 

So, I guess it’s got to go without saying that if I didn’t know anything about The Pogues, there’s was no chance that I would have any inkling about these guys. Who are fuckloads better. I don’t mean that as a slam but this is right up my alley. I bring up the Pogues cuz, from what I read, they came together at a festival playing alongside Shane and the gang. 

This is something different. 
This is the heirs to The Clash. 
Oh…and they are still around. 

Why did no one tell me?





No comments: