Friday, July 12, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Cure - The Head on the Door

The Cure - The Head on the Door


#303/938
August 26 1985
The Cure
The Head on the Door
Genre: Alternative 
4.75 out of 5


Highlights:
In Between Days
The Blood
Six Different Ways
Push
Close to Me

For some reason my roommate Eli had access to a four track recording device. I don’t recall why. And maybe it wasn’t even him. Although I think it was. And into it we recorded some terrible version of, I think, “Killing an Arab”. Is this right? Maybe. It was fun. I remember that.

There was a girl, her name was Allison. I think it was. She was in my acting class. She liked me. I think. Her father was an executive at Atari. Or Coleco. Or Intellivision. One of them. She was very goth. Or she wanted to be. She came to my dorm one night when no one was around, rifled through my roommate’s records and put on The Cure’s “Let’s Go to Bed”. We did. It was…not great. But that’s on me.

I was driving through the Maine roads on a summer night. The girl I had a desperate crush on was with me. She turned me on to a lot of music. She was more than an influence. I wanted to impress her. I put on The Cure’s Seventeen Seconds. “It sounds like Duran Duran”, she said. I was crushed. 
There are other stories like this. 

The girl who I met after my divorce, who hated how I drove but liked my daughter, since she had a daughter and she adored the Cure. I called a friend who was on Mad TV and got her passes to the show. 

The roommate who tried to beat the crap out of me cuz I was talking about his excellent record collection. He owned the aforementioned Cure single but also The Glove. 

The only CD my soon-to-be-wife’s mother had on hand when I met her was Standing on a Beach: The Singles.

The Cure pops in and out of my life all the time. 
And, yet, I never really dove in. 
This is the first time I’ve heard The Head On the Door. 
It won’t be the last. 
This is spectacular. Yes, it’s poppy as hell. And I don’t mind in the least. It’s Day-Glo and Guyliner and Capezio shoes and parachute pants and I love the shit out of it.



No comments: