Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - St. Vitus - Hallow's Victim

St. Vitus - Hallow's Victim


#308/943
August 1985
St. Vitus
Hallow’s Victim
Genre: Heavy Metal
4.5 out of 5


Highlights:
War is Our Destiny
White Stallions
Mystic Lady



I was sitting in the dentist’s chair, listening to Sound Opinions talk about their favorite stuff to come out of SXSW one year. They focused pretty hard on Black Mountain, a metal band in the early Sabbath mold out of Vancouver. I have to admit that I love that sound, despite every attempt to snottily dismiss it in my younger days.
This St. Vitus record reminds me of that. Sure, they love Sabbath, that was obvious on the first turgid record. But they really stepped up their game here. Almost make me wanna go back and revisit that first one to see if I missed anything.
Was anyone listening to this when I was in college? I’ve never heard of them before this project but, boy, do I love this one.


No comments: