Saturday, July 6, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - The Lazy Cowgirls- The Lazy Cowgirls

The Lazy Cowgirls - The Lazy Cowgirls


#290/924                                  LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
1985 Housekeeping
The Lazy Cowgirls
The Lazy Cowgirls
Genre: Garage Rock
4.75 out of 5



Highlights:
Anymore
Rock of Gibralter
What Are You Talkin’ ‘Bout, Baby?
Tearful Pillows
It Hit Me
Drugs
You’re Gonna Miss Me

If you’ve been reading for a while, you know that I don’t care much for Chris Desjardins. So, it’s a complete surprise to me that he’s behind the knobs on this electric LA pub punk band’s debut. 
I don’t understand the 1.5 rating from Allmusic. Someone’s holding a grudge. Maybe the reviewer’s girlfriend said she liked the way the bald guy on the cover looked and he got mad cuz he looks like him.
I dunno. This is like a punk Jason and the Scorchers to me. LOTS of energy. A drummer (Alan Clark) who wants to drive them through a brick wall and an infectious energy that is of the sort that I eat up. This is The New York Dolls with the edge and energy of the Rezillos, if you can believe it, and less cross dressing. 
I bet the cover of Roky Erickson’s “You’re Gonna Miss Me” Chris D’s idea. One that he would’ve wanted to cover with The Flesh Eaters but you know what? I bet it would be bad in his hands and in the hands of The Lazy Cowgirls it’s a fucking revelation.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taSYeT-MzFE

No comments: