Friday, July 12, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Freaky Styley

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Freaky Styley

#298/933
August 16 1985
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Freaky Styley
Genre: Funk Rock
2 out of 5


Remember that story about the New Video manager who had seen RHCP and come to the store the next day in ecstasy and awe? 
I think it was this album that they were touring.
If they didn’t play naked with just socks on would anyone have given a shit about them after these first two records? I don’t know. It’s ugly and not fun. I sat through “Brothers Cup” (an interpolation of “We’ve Got the Funk”) so you didn’t have to. 
But here’s the question I have now: 
U2, while putting out their first album in 1980, were rehearsing and playing in the late 70s. Is there ANY other band that came out of the 80s that is still around today? I mean, they just put out a record a couple years ago. Who else has that track record? One that suggests relevance, that could headline Coachella tomorrow and sell out? Anyone?
I ask this because I think of RHCP as a 90s breakthru band but they were putting out rekkids in the mid-80s. I think they are the only one.
Says something, I think


No comments: