Friday, July 12, 2019

The 1985 Listening Post - Flash and the Pan - Early Morning Wake Up Call

Flash and the Pan - Early Morning Wake Up Call

#291/926                                    LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
July 15 1985
Flash and the Pan
Early Morning Wake Up Call
Genre: New Wave
4.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Early Morning Wake Up Call
Midnight Man
Look at That Woman Go


Is it just me? can you hear Robert Palmer’s “Lookin’ for Clues” lurking inspirationally in the title track? Or maybe it’s something else. But it all sounds so very 1980 New Wave.
But also not dated. You know what sucks about this record??
Nothing. Well, except for the fact that it’s only on YouTube. I would add most of this to my Apple Music library and be happy when any songs come up. 
It’s funky and it rocks. It reminds me a bit of Doug and the Slugs but with more rock and less swing. There’s a cheekiness that also calls to mind The Tubes’ pre-Inside Out work. 
This album is terrific. I don’t even mind the programmed drums cuz I really like every single song. 
Makes me wish I’d heard of Flash and the Pan before. Score another one for Oz!


https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBJ7ztNazTVCco0nrJwbssctwonhzxRKI

No comments: