Thursday, June 18, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Sorrows - Teenage Heartbreak

Sorrows - Teenage Heartbreak



#158
April 1980 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
Sorrows
Teenage Heartbreak
Genre: Lost Power Pop classic
5 out of 5




Highlights:
Teenage Heartbreak
I Don’t Like it Like That
Bad Times Good Times
Lonely Girl
She Comes and Goes
Can’t Go Back




If you are new to The Listening Post you might not know that I am an inveterate Power Pop fan. I didn’t start off this way. Well, I kind of did. I mean, when I was 6 I adored The Partridge Family and got my dad to take me to see David Cassidy at the Garden State Arts Center. And I had a Bay City Rollers record. My mom wrapped it and put it in my room when I was sleeping one Christmas. Yeah, we got Christmas presents, even though we were Jews. And yes, they were records. She bought a BCR record for me and one for my brother and, without opening it, I switched ours. She never knew it. He had no idea. And I ended up with both records in the long run.
But then I went through my punk phase and my New Wave phase (Yes I had a shiny diagonal zipper New Wave shirt that my math teacher made fun of). And I went full rock when I finally discovered Springsteen and Ozzy and Van Halen Queen and the like. I went thought my College Rock phase with REM and Violent Femmes. I was into Grunge for a brief spell but it didn’t take. 
And then I started a band. I did that in Los Angeles in the early 2000s and caught on to the tail end of the Power Pop revival and, thanks to Napster and Soulseek and AudioGalaxy I was able to go back and discover and rediscover all those great skinny tie records that I should have been listening to if not for those distractions. 
It might be my favorite genre. But so is Glam. And Classic Rock. And Theatrical Rock. And Indie Pop. Oh fuck it. 

This album is a terrific entry into that skinny tie genre.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2135S1no56TK9YmqW1767a?si=-p_apTcQSIaLYuL9qdtjdQ

No comments: