Thursday, June 25, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Dalek I (aka Dalek I Love You) - Compass Kum'pas

Dalek I (aka Dalek I Love You) - Compass Kum'pas


#184
May 24 1980 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
Dalek I (aka Dalek I Love You)
Compass Kum’pas
Genre: Technew Wave
4.25 out of 5

Highlights:
The World
Dalek I Love You
A Suicide
Heat


Requisite 80s Cover: “You Really Got Me” by The Kinks. A terrific, stripped down, minimalist sketch that is a prefect representation of what the era was about. Put it in the books with Devo’s “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”. It’s nearly perfect. 


I loved Doctor Who. Well, I loved Tom Baker’s Doctor. An then I never keyed back in. I also really loved the opening theme. That theremin sounding Synth that took us to other worlds and inside the TARDIS, which is the greatest science fiction invention of all time. 
That’s right here on the opening track, “The World”. And it’s delicious. Listening to this on the heels of Suicide…this is what that record should have sounded like but, obviously Rev and Vega have about as much sense of humor and awareness of a sense of ridiculousness as Ric Ocasek does. 
It was on “Trapped” that I realized that these guys are working from a larger picture. When they shout “You really got me!” they are advancing the cover of what’s coming and it’s amidst a weirdly lovely relationship song of failure. Which renders the Kinks song a…memory? It’s out of time with the album and Doctor Who was a Time Lord. 
This album is a kick. And once again Chris Hughes, the secret sauce that made Adam and the Ants what they were, is on this thing. Where’s his biography? I wanna know more about that guy. 
I didn’t know this but, the Daleks would go on to help found The Teardrop Explodes. 

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSC6Qucfp2k&list=PLlvn8uktX5LtJbFO54cuISLbRapj5Wu6m

No comments: