Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Ambrosia - One Eighty

Ambrosia - One Eighty

#108
March 26 1980
Ambrosia
One Eighty
Genre: Schmaltz is okay once in a while
3.25 out of 5


Highlights:
You’re the Only Woman (You & I)
No Big Deal
Biggest Part of Me

Honestly, I almost forgot this genre existed and, yet, it’s going to dominate the airwaves during the 80s. Maybe I just wiped it out of my memory, temporarily.
When I was a teen I summered in Bar Harbor. I worked in the T-Shirt shop. We put decals and letters on shirts for locals and tourists. This was in the early days of heat presses. By the time I was 17 I was operating the store by myself during the day. The downside to this was that the only entertainment was local radio and local radio played MOR garbage. It was the 80s. There was no cutting edge college radio. Nope. I was stuck with whatever was lower less offensive than Top Forty. Just middling stuff.
Ambrosia’s “Biggest Part of Me” was on that station. A lot.
Its as though someone listened to The Doobie Brothers and thought, “Well, let’s make a safer version of that.”
And the Doobies were like, “Wait, what?”
Too late. Someone bought this record and were enjoying their “You’re the Only Woman (You & I)” and “Biggest Part of Me” then they got to “Kamikazee” and couldn’t figure out what a strange prog rock tune was doing in the middle of their easy listening rock record. 
Those tunes are catchy MOR, though. (For Doobie Brothers songs…)

No comments: