Thursday, June 18, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Family Fodder - Monkey Banana Kitchen

Family Fodder - Monkey Banana Kitchen


#173 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY
1980 Housekeeping
Family Fodder
Monkey Banana Kitchen
Genre: What the fuck is this?
4.25 out of 5 (sorrynotsorry)


Highlights:
Savoir Faire
Wrong


I leave it to Ira Robbins at Trouser Press to put it best:
“Every track on Monkey Banana Kitchen is an adventure — there is absolutely no consistency. The often dada results run from likable to heinous. Remarkable and great fun, it’s a record that will keep you on the edge of your seat.”

It’s impossible to categorize cuz I can’t get a handle on it. But, an adventure it is. 
My brain is mush after listening to this. Not cuz it’s bad. It’s not. No, no way, no sirree, it’s the opposite. I just can’t figure out what to compare it to. Sometimes it reminds me of Battles and other times it…well…doesn’t. 
And how to explain it’s existence. In another world Family Fodder tours with Swans and every Swans fan suddenly feels better about the world and Gira and Jarboe hug and open a bed and breakfast with a houseful of adorable cats. 
I wanted to lower the score because of the faux-raga of “Bass Adds Bass” and then I fell, stupefyingly, under it’s spell and I couldn’t pull myself away. 

No comments: